Saturday, July 5, 2008

What a Great Day!











This morning when I got up it was raining. I was really bummed. Today is that day for the Mitchell/Lile/Cohorn family reunion. I really enjoy this reunion. I love seeing my 2 aunts (my dad's sisters). They are wonderful, strong women who are great cooks and love to tell stories of days gone by. I enjoy hearing about their families and telling them about mine. I love seeing my cousins and their families. Each year the reunion is a little different. We have some that have left us for one reason or another (death, divorce, prior engagements, etc) and each year we have new faces (new babies, boyfriend/girlfriend, or just plain friends). All are welcome. It is a great day full of fun, food, swimming and sharing of stories. It is one of my favorite times of the year. I believe I like it better than Christmas and I say this because I am an outdoor person and all this takes place beside my aunt's beautiful pool. I love her home and her lovely yard. This year the new face was "Austin". Truett and Tonya's new addition. He is certainly a little water dog. I had the pleasure of playing with him in the pool. He is so sweet. His brother, Alex, has really grown up this year. He was like talking to a little man. Even though the day started with a little rain, it sure turned into a blue sky day!




I took a Honey Bun cake to the reunion and I had several requests for the recipe, so here it is.




Honey Bun Cake


1 yellow cake mix with pudding 1 eight ounce carton sour cream

4 eggs 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

2/3 cup vegetable oil 1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/3 cup water 2/3 cup chopped pecans




Combine first 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Set aside.




Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans and set aside.




Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2 inch cake pan. Pour half of the batter into pan. Sprinkle half of the sugar mixture over the batter. Repeat the layers. Gently swirl batter with a knife. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Remove from overn. Drizzle glaze over cake and cool.





Glaze


1 cup sifted powered sugar (I don't sift, so what if there are a few lumps)

2 tbsp milk

1/2 tsp vanilla


Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. (I just use a spoon and beat real fast) Drizzle over cake.



Eat and Enjoy! Especially good with coffee.

1 comment:

Team Mitchell & Crew said...

Thank You Thank you! Cute pics! Yummy cake!!!!