Monday, July 21, 2008

3 Kentucky Girls in DC

Becoming a decision writer just further proves I have a severe mental impairment. I lack concentration and I have difficulty with pace and persistence. Today's class was grueling. I cannot concentrate when the instructor and at least 5 classmates are talking. I read one sentence 5 times. Today was the worst day yet. Only 4 more days to go. I hope I make it.

It was so hot (98) on Saturday. We went to Chinatown. There wasn't much of China there, however, we did see a movie there. If you get a chance, see Mama Mia. It is an excellent movie. People were clapping and cheering during the movie it was so good. This movie made you want to jump up, dance and sing. Very uplifting movie. Well worth the $8.50 matinee price I paid to see it.

Then we went to the Vietnam Memorial. I am not a big history person and was not prepared to be impressed my what I saw. However, when we got there, a volunteer was telling what each part of the memorial stood for and how he had fought in that war. He told us how he watched men die. Men that were his friends and how he asked himself each day why he had been spared. This memorial truly came to life with his testimony. Then I was truly impressed by the awesomeness of the memorial. I was happy to get to shake his hand and thank him for his service.

Here we are: 3 Kentucky girls in DC at the World War II Memorial. This too was an awesome work of art. The fountains at this display were great. However, I would have love to take a swim right about then. We were so hot and tired by then and we still had to find the metro station. Finally, we got there and got back to our stop near our hotel. Fortunately, our favorite restaurant (Chevy's) is right as you get off. We all went in and got something to drink. We were so thirsty. Margaritas for Marcia and I and Sprite with pineapple juice for Shawna. We had a light meal and then went back to the hotel for a much needed shower and then fell into bed exhausted.

Sunday, we got up to do it again. We went to the Natural History Museum. I wasn't prepared to like that either. I tell you I am not much into old dead stuff but the HOPE DIAMOND was beautiful. Well worth the trip. Then Shawna took it easy on us old girls and let us go back to the hotel for a brief afternoon nap before we went to old town (Alexandria, VA).

Shawna had never been to Old Town so I was happy she was getting to see something new. I was happy to see Shawna come to visit (I think she saved me from packing up and going home early) but I knew she had seen much of what we went to on Saturday before. So I was really glad she enjoyed Old Town. It is such a pretty little town. The water front is beautiful with all the sailboat and everything. Lots of restaurants and shops. Wish we had got there early enough to go into some of the shops, but unfortunately they were closed. Shawna wanted to go to the Christmas shop and get an ornament for her Christmas tree. We had dinner at the Chart House. A real fancy smancy place. Shawna and I even tried caviar. Neither one of us liked it. It tastes like sardines. Now I know you are going to ask how do I know what sardines taste like. Well, that is probably another story entirely but Granny Iva loved sardines in mustard sauce and she was good at talking her granddaughter into trying new things. Not a favorite but Granny tried.




No comments: